Thursday, November 11, 2010

autumn /















































































l// This is in response to your last post Tess, I remember reading about a lady who completed a thesis on uncalculated design, whether a random grouping of elements was more pleasing to the eye than premeditated work. So I decided to do a quick test. Above are 6 designs, 3 are a result of dropping the leaves onto the scanner, 2 are the result of taking a few moments to consider placement of the elements and 1 is the result of letting Sasha have her way with the scanner.... no prizes for guessing this one. I must admit that I do prefer the product of the random drop. To me it seems well thought out and surprisingly balanced (not in a symmetrical way but in a design sense)! I don't know whether I'm just being overly critical of myself.... let me know which one you (meaning anyone) prefer, out of 1 to 5... x

4 comments:

  1. Heh. I like number 4 (if we're going from the top down). Just cos I really like things with white space. I also like Sasha's. The teddies are a nice addition, and the way they are squished up with the leaves reminds me of forgotten toys, discarded in Autumn...

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1 and 4 are my favourites..although i have to say that they all look quite stylish and its hard to say which ones are intended and not... little sash is a born artist for sure.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. this also reminded me that task we set ourself quite a while ago. i think i have the leaves somewhere. and i even started a pattern....sigh, so many unfinished projects. so impatient!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, you both selected random ones. I initially liked 4 too but 1 grew on me over time. I like that it is basically centered, an area of the page I normally avoid.

    I am starting to enjoy having lots of unfinished projects after years of being frustrated... it means that naps times could mean anything from drawing to scanning leaves to stop animations to stitching... who knows whats next!!! And they will all reach completion eventually. Hopefully we will one day be able to have 3 month sabbaticals together like sagmeister and do little projects together. xxxx

    ReplyDelete