Friday, November 5, 2010

ai weiwei /

l// At the moment The Tate floor is crawling with an epic amount of hand painted porcelain sunflower seeds. The work was intended, by the artist Ai Weiwei (cool name), to be interacted with... to be walked upon, thrown and generally explored... my immediate desire was to get down on my stomach and swim through it. However due to the health and safety risks caused by the porcelain dust the exhibit has been fenced off from the public. To me this was annoying, like being shown a beautiful painting with a blindfold in place. However I guess it almost makes the work more perplexing, what a great symbol of a society gone mad with caution, that we were forced to stand behind a fence and observe what had been placed there for us to excavate and conquer. Still had I not known the initial intent of the artist it still would have dazzled me with it's scale and detail. Well worth a 'look'... Sasha's evaluation = "Oh wow... messy!" Photographs care of Tate photography (TOP) & Fiona Hanson (BOTTOM hehehe)


1 comment:

  1. I read about this project. It looks amazing. I so badly want to visit the Tate! There's SO much going on in London!

    ReplyDelete